Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Stay Happy

I just saw that on my twitter feed and it just seemed like the easiest thing in the world. It is a very simple recipe, really. Get happy, than stay that way.
Shit happens all the time and there's nothing we can do about it. In fact, here in Brazil we have a saying; Não há mal que sempre dure, nem bem que nunca acabe.  Roughly, there are no goods that last forever, nor bads that never end. 
What I think most of us struggle with is remembering that this does apply to both sides of the coin. When you are sad it does seem like it will last forever, and its hard to get out of the funk and do something.
I have adopted the course of immediate action. If I am sad, I will immediately do something that has the possibility of changing that. Just lost a job? Apply for a new one right away. I didn't get into the school I wanted? Look for an alternative course that is just as interesting.
Most of the time those immediate actions don't take me anywhere, but they do shine a light at the end of the tunnel. They keep me reminding me that this bad won't last forever and that as long as I keep moving I'll get there as fast as I can.

Maybe its not about staying happy, but to keep moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment