Saturday, February 2, 2013

So today I got fired

    I had already handed in my notice and was about halfway into fulfilling it (it was a month's worth) when my manager called me into his office today and told me they had decided to just end my contract there. Having already quit, I was thrilled to get out of there as fast as I could, but at the same time I can't help but think I am getting screwed over in the long run. Oh well...

   What I wanted to take from today was this great feeling of relief, of the weight being lifted off my shoulders and do something with it. Use the unexpected free time to do something I have been dreaming about for a long time and could never pencil into my plans. And for me that was writing a book.

   I don't have a specific idea, nor a story that I wish I could tell, but just this desire to get words out and to something with them, sorta like my own personal NaNoWriMo. So I downloaded a writing software, got me some cold water and a couple of snacks and got cracking. I was amazed by what had to come out of my brain and how fast it all rushed out. Don't get me wrong, it is all shit. Badly written, not much of a plot and most of it doesn't make sense to anybody but me.  But between the lines and words I can see characters start to form, and their personalities come alive. I'll even think to myself "oh umbrella man is too clumsy to sit on that bar stool" and just like that, with a couple hours work and not much more this thing I've wanted to do for so long has become organic. I don't know if I'll ever finish it, or if I'll want to share it in the eventuality that I do. But what I know is that there was something I have been putting off for way too long and now have finally given it a chance. Might be I'm the next J.K. Rowling, might be I just end up with some really weird fanfiction of my own story, but now I'm that much closer to knowing.
 
    What about you? What project would you start if you got fired today?


M.


No comments:

Post a Comment